Join us on Tuesday, January 16th from 6:00 - 8:00 PM at Boca Lago Country Club for the College Seminar.
The South Florida PGA is committed to preparing junior golfers for the next level. We offer students and parents a FREE college seminar with invaluable information about how to get to the next level. Topics discussed will include the PGA Golf Management program, NCAA, NAIA and NJCAA rules and regulations, communication with coaches, recruiting process, resumes and videos, official and unofficial visits and personal perspective from a student athlete and a parent of a student athlete.
- AJ Broderick - Men's Golf Coach - Johnson & Wales University
- Andrew Dana - Men's Golf Coach - Lynn University
- Tara McKenna, PGA - PGA Golf Management - FGCU
- Shannon Sykora - Women's Golf Coach - Barry University
- Craig Watson, PGA - Men's & Women's Golf Coach - Palm Beach Atlantic University
- Denise Jakows - Mother of PGA Tour Professional Brooks Koepka
- More Speakers to be announced soon
- NCAA Clearinghouse
- NCAA Rules & Regulations
- Writing resumes / preparing vidoes
- PING College Golf Guide usage
- Official / Unofficial Visits
- PGA Golf Management University Program
- Responsibilities of a student athlete
- Communication with coaches
- Competitive schedule
- Recruiting process
- Parent support
- Finding the right program
- High School grades
- Visiting colleges
The South Florida PGA is committed to helping juniors achieve their dreams of playing collegiate golf. We have put together a wealth of information that we hope can make the process easier on you. This is a guide of information that will help guide you in the correct direction when beginning the recruiting process.
Websites for the College Bound Student Athlete:
What is the PGA Golf Management University Program?
- A four-and-one-half to five year program for aspiring PGA Professionals
- Accredited by the PGA of America
- Provides extensive classroom studies, internship experience and opportunities for player development
- Prepares students with the knowledge and skills to succeed in the golf industry
- Offers expanded career paths in addition to traditional green grass locations
- Allows students to earn a degree in areas such as Marketing, Business Administration, Hospitality Administration, Recreation and Park Management
- Graduates currently have a 100% employment placement rate
Florida Gulf Coast University
There are 18 PGM Programs across the country and one right here in south Florida. The FGCU PGA Golf Management University Program is located in Fort Myers, Florida. For more information, click here
Developed in 2018 the South Florida PGA Foundation annually provides one local student with a four year, $20,000 scholarship to assist with their college education. The student selected to receive the $20,000 scholarship will receive $5,000 over the course of four years. In order to receive funding each year, additional paperwork including a copy of the student’s transcript must be submitted to the SFPGA Foundation to ensure the student it performing at an acceptable level.
High school seniors or college students enrolled in the freshmen or sophomore classes of undergraduate studies who are currently employed in the golf industry, or whose parents or grandparents are employed in or retired from the golf industry (PGA professionals, superintendents, sales representatives, club employees, or club managers, etc.). Current SFPGA Junior Tour member. Applicants must be permanent residents of south Florida. Applicants must have a cumulative GPA of 3.0 (based on a 4.0 scale).
The purpose of the SFPGA Scholarship is to encourage and promote the attainment of higher education goals for current and past Junior Tour members in addition to family members of those who work within the golf industry in south Florida.
- Click here for applications details or to apply today - COMING SOON
Additional Scholarship Opportunities within the SFPGA
Other Scholarships Offered
Click here for tips on how to search for additional scholarships or click here for tips on college preparation.
Previous SFPGA Scholarship Awards and Receipents
- Michael O’Brien Scholarship
- The Don E. Beattie Scholarship
- The Bobby Goodman Scholarship
- PGA Golf Management Scholarship at Florida Gulf Coast University